Thursday, 22 October 2009

Nicola Rowlands


On tuesday (October 20th) we were joined by Nicola Rowlands.

A D&AD graduate from last year who has an extremely lovable individual and creative style.  I found this a really reassuring talk, hearing from somebody who has worn the shoes that I am now, so to speak, quaking in.  I appreciated her advice...

  • Be nice to your teachers
  • Be raw and confident
  • Write genuinely about your practice, and when approaching agencies for work
  • Go out on a limb - but don't be too wacky
  • Create an online presence for yourself, & a pdf folio to send out
  • Don't put all your eggs in one basket - keep an open mind
  • Don't blend in
  • Be aware - watch TV, read the newspaper
  • Be yourself and not someone else
  • Keep in touch
...and the images dropped in between these for a lil bit of humour.

Nicola is evidently a hard worker, with many placements and freelance work under her belt.  These include presentations and posters for the BBC.  A great example of her illustration and how this style has a place within the commercial industry which is usually full of slick graphics.



Can't go without mentioning Nicola's blog.  I love it!  It's more than just a third year journal, it shows contextual awareness and personality.  It reads like a diary rather than point scoring 20 D&ADcredits.  It shows somebody who is what they practice.  I aspire to shape my blog in this way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment