Friday, 30 October 2009

G-MAN talks Self Promotion:

"Self Promotion is one aspect of design that cannot be taught.
You are really out on a limb and your on your own with this one,
and the pitfalls are numerous: should it be funny or serious?"


I've been flicking through the self promotional IDN recently, thinking about how I want to promote myself/represent myself visually etc, so the timing of this lecture was perfect.

Graham highlighted the importance of the following:
  • Identity
  • Portfolio
  • Website/Online Presence ie Twitter/Facebook/Behance/Flickr
  • Printed Material
It's remarkable what you can make out of your current situation.  I loved how he broke down the Via identity into elements around him that he had taken inspiration from.  I've never thought about carpet patterns and pots of paint in that way.  It sort of reinforced what I learnt from John Walsh's wander/wonder workshop last week.  I'm now eyeing up everything I come across.  Is it silent... Is it pointless... could it be used to promote me?

"Your business card is your primary weapon."

Examples of cards and letter heads using Graham's personality.
Also shows selection is memorable.

Things to remember:
  • Be consistant
  • Be memorable without being annoying
  • Give your buisness cards to as many people as you can
  • Show care and attention to detail
  • Update your contacts every few weeks... a great way of keeping in touch and reminding them who you are
  • Make a conserted effort to catch eye
  • Don't trust your client will always use you, establish trust, then let them know you are always interested/willing
  • Express your personality with passion and dare - know that people respond to personal approaches
  • Let the work speak for itself - don't bullshit or over sell
  • Exploit every avenue.
  • Make the person you want to work with/for think they are special - send limtited/unique/personal mailouts
  • Strive to do great work
  • Get involved with the printing

"Finding clients will be the main battle in your whole career:
not only to find clients to start you going but constantly to be finding clients to keep you going."



Online presence and business cards for Loose Collective's identity.
Designed by Graham.

Personal mailer above: leaving space for handwriting/personal msg.

I love how Graham photographs his work and the execution of the pieces themselves made me want to learn more about printing and stock.  I found this a really beneficial lecture.  I feel maybe just a little better about stepping out into the big wide world.

Tuesday October 27th

No comments:

Post a Comment