
Yesterday part of the D&AD crew visited the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool. Each time I visit I love to look at the Cityscape - by Ben Johnson. The detail in this painting, is utterly incredible! I can appreciate that there must have been so much work put into the production. Each building was drawn on computer, broken down into individual stencils which were then applied to canvas using acrylic. It took over three years to complete, and in preparation to this Johnson visited Liverpool to observe viewpoints and architecture, make drawings and take photographs... over 3000 to be exact! The picture I took above doesn't really do it justice, so I've cropped and zoomed a section just to show the detail captured. I also found some interesting images of the making of the piece on good old google... so have a gander below...

Road signs, traffic lights and brick work finely detailed.


No comments:
Post a Comment