Thursday, 29 April 2010

You don't need your eyes testing...


Last thursday I did a brief post about the VW Polo campaign by DDB London. On sunday, they launched the accompanying print/outdoor campaign taking the "Unbelievable Value" strapline and pushing it further afield. The TV ad really got my attention, made me smile and acknowledge the beauty of the creative thought behind it... but the press ad doesn't seem to support it. I was really disappointed by the final execution of the message. This is something that I struggle with in my work and I think it is quite easy to let this final stage slide sometimes. But still, I can't help but think that the typography looks as if it has been directly lifted from a quick thumbnail. The desired look was to achieve an eye test aesthetic, a great idea to compliment and direct the strapline but I think that they should have used the appropriate type used in eye tests. Perhaps then the advert would have been more successful? I also only understood it because I had seen the 30sec TV advert, and I wonder how easily this would communicate with someone who hadn't. See what you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment