Saturday, 27 February 2010

Fancy a Staycation?

Tourism is one of the largest industries in the UK, yet there seems to be little evidence of existing creative advertising and engaging campaigns to inspire us to holiday in our own country.  It was for this reason that I thought I would tackle the Roses Award brief "Staycation" - the only ask it had, was to reinvent the traditional British holiday through an advertising campaign.


The traditional British holiday is the seaside holiday and so it is this that I have used as a starting point for my content.  I am aware that interest in British coastal towns has dwindled over past years, becoming stereotyped as run down, old fashioned and tacky.  People may be cynical to hear what this campaign has to say so I have tried to be clear and focused in presenting a new image and voice.  I aim to use the traditional values as the content, whilst using contemporary design to freshen interest and resurge popularity.

My design will become part of a campaign that encourages people to travel the UK internally from one place to another.  My development ideas will utilise stereotypes presented in a way that encourage the viewer to see past traditional elements.

Below, is an experiment from my first set of concept/design ideas.  Instead of hiding my work as per, I'm posting it up in the hope of getting some constructive feedback.  I'd be really interested to know how quick the idea transcends.


1 comment:

  1. i love the simplicity of this!

    i'm not saying it would work but have you tried making anything else 'seasidey' out of the letters? i'm not sure what though - it might be best just as the icecream cos it's so clear what it's meant to be, but if there were others it could potentially make a nice series...

    does it work in any other typefaces? if you use a fancier font you might end up with a totally different kind of icecream. maybe you could try some out and see which looks most british or something?

    hope that helps! i really do like the idea, im jealous :p xx

    ReplyDelete