Suitable advice to any third year student at this point in the year.A new term, a new brief. I want a project that will reflect my interest in copy based campaigns and this is why I have opted to do the Elmwood "Make mine a builders brew" brief set by D&AD. The brief describes the importance of quality of thinking and language and not the visual execution. This seems perfect for me and where I see myself trying to squeeze into industry.
Elmwood want to know who drinks tea, why they drink it, when they drink it - what do they feel about it? They also wanted to know what kind of drinks they are up against... other teas? coffee? or cold drinks? From my initial market research I believe that those who are tea drinkers are very passionate about their tea, and that they are very loyal to their desired brand. I therefore feel that I should be focusing on a campaign that competes with other tea brands and that encourages people to try this "strong - no nonsense" cup of tea.

Existing promotional materials and example of brand language (above)
Their tone is informal, honest, fun.
I have looked at leading tea competitors and I really like Twinings copy based campaign (above) for their brand. It confronts why people drink tea, that they usually do this to lift mood and unites tea drinkers in the way that I think Make Mine A Builders are seeking to do.I have also been looking at general copy based campaigns and even though Elmwood are not so much interested in the final execution I think it would be nice to draw inspiration from these two adverts and art direct the text to suit meaning. The two adverts below are both very different and I find it interesting that one word can have impact, yet a whole string of words can create curiousity and intrigue a viewer to read the full message.


No comments:
Post a Comment