Thursday, 26 November 2009

To be read in a Yorkshire accent:

Craig Oldham came in to do a lecture for us on tuesday (24th). More entertaining than Emmerdale (which he alluded to) and YCN (sorry!) this was engaging from start to finish, and not only that but I think that I, and everyone else took a lot away from this. And I don't just mean the 12 in 12 handouts he gave us - which are ab fab!!

So, briefly, as he is "not one to blow his own trumpet" he has worked for The Chase and is currently at Music. This wasn't really a show and tell but of his few examples I loved this piece for the The MEN...

A paperfold that informs the Manchester Evening News are moving to a new building. It's simple, great, and the fact that this was done from start to finish in about an hour kills me! My practice needs to pick up some pace!!



And the 12 in 12:
Craig presented this to us, sharing 12 things we may/should learn in our first year in industry. Knowing what to expect and how to achieve it really helped me to understand what I should be doing and I realised I need to start thinking of where I want to potentially end up and to act upon it asap. I loved that this was presented to us in a really positive (and verbally colourful) way! Craig was really informative and this and Graham's lecture on self promotion have been the best of the year so far! Guest lectures are always good... so can we have some more, please and thank you! :)

So the rundown of the 12 points:


  1. Understand what Graphic Design means to you.
  2. Be honest with yourself about your strengths and weaknesses.
  3. A portfolio is for life, not just for an interview.
  4. Placements matter. Do them.
  5. The Design industry is small, everyone knows everybugger else.
  6. Participate with other people and share your ideas.
  7. Graphic Design is just a job, being a designer is different.
  8. Fall off your bike. If you don't fail then you are not trying.
  9. Life and work exist outside of London.
  10. Designing is only , about, 20% of your job.
  11. Have a life outside of Design.
  12. Work hard and be nice to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment